The Can-SPAM act is in force in the US (other laws in other countries, but if your Email Service Provider is doing business in the US, and/or your email subscribers reside in the US, than your email marketing also must be CAN-SPAM compliant!)
- Subject lines must clearly and conspicuously identify advertisement or solicitation. In other words, the subject line must be indicative of the actual content of your email.
- A valid electronic return address working for at least 30 days
- A postal address (P.O. box is OK) must appear – add a phone number as a best practice
- Must provide an opt-out mechanism for subscribers. Instructions for opting out must be clear and conspicuous and honoured within 10 business days.
- Don’t falsify or obscure the real sender.
- Don’t “harvest” email addresses from the Internet.